Compare Auto Insurance in Massachusetts
- $10,000 bodily injury for one person
- $20,000 per accident
- $10,000 property damage
- Click here for more auto insurance minimums in Massachusetts.
- DUI is considered a BAC of 0.08%.
- Enhanced sentencing for BAC of 0.15% and higher.
- Click here for more DUI laws in Massachusetts.
- SR-22 may be required for a number of reasons.
- An SR-22 is typically required to reinstate a suspended license.
- Click here for all SR-22 requirements in Massachusetts.
- The Massachusetts legislature is considering several cell phone/texting laws.
- Massachusetts Senate Bill 328 prohibits text-based communications while operating a motor vehicle.
- Click here for Hands-Free laws in Massachusetts.
- Massachusetts utilizes a Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) system for teen drivers.
- The GDL is intended to minimize high-risk situations for inexperienced drivers.
- Click here to learn all you need to know about Massachusetts teen driver laws.
The State of Massachusetts requires every motorist to purchase and maintain several different types of insurance coverage. The dollar amounts given are minimum numbers. These are:
- $20,000 total for bodily injury coverage, per person
- $40,000 total for bodily injury coverage, per accident
- $5,000 total for property damage, per accident
- $8,000 total Personal Injury Protection (PIP). This insurance coverage protects you when you are involved in an accident, no matter who is at fault. It pays a portion of the costs such as accident-related medical expenses and 75% of lost wages.
Massachusetts also mandates that all drivers carry Uninsured Motorist coverage. This covers your own bodily injuries if you are the victim of a hit-and-run or are hit by a driver who is at fault but has no insurance. The minimum coverage amounts are:
- $20,000 total, per person
- $40,000 total, per accident
It’s important to remember that these amounts are the minimum required by law. Most insurance experts recommend that you consider purchasing higher amounts of coverage to protect yourself financially. If you don’t have the proper amount of coverage and are held responsible in an accident, your home, savings, future wages, and all other personal assets can be at risk in order to cover the costs of accident-related medical bills, property damage, and lawsuits.
Your auto insurance agent is a knowledgeable and trusted source for information regarding your state’s minimum requirements. Your agent can also offer sound and practical advice when it comes to selecting other types of auto insurance coverage to protect yourself financially. These may include Collision Coverage or Comprehensive Coverage, for example.
For any other concerns or questions, please contact:
Massachusetts Division of Insurance
|1000 Washington Street|
Boston, MA 02118
(877) 563-4467 Toll Free
(617) 521-7490 Hearing Impaired
Massachusetts Car Insurance Agents
If you live in Massachusetts and are looking for an auto insurance agent to help you with your insurance needs, you’ve come to the right place.
Massachusetts Auto Insurance agents are fully qualified professionals whose goal is to make the process of buying auto insurance easy and enjoyable for you- their customer. They are also able to compare coverage and prices from many different sources- including most of the leading, well-respected insurance companies in the country. This allows them to formulate the right auto insurance policy for each individual client in terms of coverage and cost.
By asking the right questions about your personal needs and circumstances with regards to insurance and listening carefully to your answers, a good agent can put together a comprehensive auto insurance policy which protects you and your property, as well as your assets. You can rely on your agent to stand by you when you have a claim and to always make sure your policy is up-to-date and continues to meet the needs of your changing lifestyle.
If you would like to receive a quote from a qualified agent, please use our Agent Locator. It offers an extensive list of professional agents in your local area.
Tips to saving money on your insurance premiums
- Maintain a clean driving record. This can add up to big savings when buying auto insurance.
- Raise your deductible. Remember, the higher your deductible, the lower the cost.
- If you have a teenage driver in the family, ask about a good student discount.
- Bundle your insurance policies. Purchasing life, home, auto and other insurance policies from one company can earn you up to 10% off the total cost of your premiums.
- If you’re purchasing a new vehicle, get an insurance quote before you buy. Insurance prices can vary dramatically depending on the make and model of the car you purchase.
- Improve your credit score. Many insurance companies use your credit score to determine the amount of your premium. Before applying for insurance, obtain copies of your personal credit report from the three major credit bureaus and check them for accuracy. Report any errors or out-of-date information directly to the reporting bureau.
Being aware of these money-saving tips can add up to big savings for you! When you also work with a professional insurance agent to put together your policy, you can be confident that you are getting comprehensive coverage at the best possible price.
In the past, finding affordable Massachusetts auto insurance was never an easy task. A lot of people, in fact, picked the first policy they came across to save time. However, CarInsurance.info has opened up new avenues for people to shop for the lowest insurance rates in Massachusetts. Insurance shoppers can visit CarInsurance.info and compare the lowest rates from a list of insurance providers and their best policies. In doing so, they can save a lot of money and time. To find discounts or to search for the best rates in the state of Massachusetts, enter your zip code to get an online quote.