Compare Auto Insurance in Minnesota
- $30,000 bodily injury for one person
- $60,000 per accident
- $10,000 property damage
- Click here for more auto insurance minimums in Minnesota.
- DUI is considered a BAC of 0.08%; commercial drivers 0.04%; minors 0.02%
- Enhanced sentencing for BAC of 0.15% and higher.
- Click here for more DUI laws in Minnesota.
- SR-22 may be required for a number of reasons.
- An SR-22 is typically required to reinstate a suspended license.
- Click here for all SR-22 requirements in Minnesota.
- The Minnesota legislature is considering several cell phone/texting laws.
- Minnesota law prohibits text-based communications while operating a motor vehicle.
- Click here for Hands-Free laws in Minnesota.
- Minnesota utilizes a Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) system for teen drivers.
- The GDL is intended to minimize high-risk situations for inexperienced drivers.
- Click here to learn all you need to know about Minnesota teen driver laws.
When you are involved in an auto accident and found to be responsible, it is vitally important to have the proper insurance coverage. If you don’t have the proper amount of coverage and are found at fault in an accident, your home, savings, future wages, and all other personal assets can be at risk in order to cover the costs of accident-related medical bills, property damage and lawsuits.
Auto insurance in Minnesota is a highly competitive market with over 200 companies vying for your business. Rates in the state are higher than in many others due to the fact that Minnesota requires all drivers to purchase and maintain the following types of coverage (the amounts shown are the minimum as required by law):
Bodily Injury Liability
- $30,000 total for bodily injury coverage, per person
- $60,000 total for bodily injury coverage, per accident
- $10,000 total for property damage, per accident
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – This is sometimes referred to as “no-fault” insurance. The coverage pays for medical expenses and lost income for a driver or passenger who is injured in an accident, regardless of who is responsible.
- $40,000 total per person, per accident
Uninsured Motorist coverage– This covers your own bodily injuries if you are the victim of a hit-and-run or are hit by a driver who is at fault but has no insurance or is underinsured. The minimum coverage amounts are:
- $25,000 total, per person
- $50,000 total, per accident
Underinsured Motorist coverage– This covers personal injury or property damage caused by an underinsured driver. The minimum coverage amounts are:
- $25,000 total, per person
- $50,000 total, per accident
It’s important to remember that these amounts are strictly the minimum which the State of Minnesota requires to maintain legal coverage. Many times, these minimum numbers are woefully inadequate to fully cover damages which occur in an accident for which you are found legally responsible. To avoid having to pay the cost difference out-of-pocket, you may want to consider choosing higher amounts of insurance coverage when you purchase your own policy.
Your auto insurance agent is a knowledgeable and trusted source for information regarding your state’s minimum requirements. Your agent can also offer sound and practical advice when it comes to selecting other types of auto insurance coverage to protect yourself financially. These may include Collision Coverage or Comprehensive Coverage, for example.
For any other concerns or questions, please contact:
Minnesota Department of Commerce- Division of Insurance
|85 7th Place East|
St. Paul, MN 55101
Minnesota Car Insurance Agents
If you live in Minnesota and are looking for an auto insurance agent to assist you with your insurance needs, your search is over!
Minnesota Auto Insurance agents are fully qualified professionals whose goal is to make the process of buying auto insurance easy and enjoyable for you- their customer. They are also able to compare coverage and prices from many different sources- including most of the leading, well-respected insurance companies in the country. This allows them to formulate the right auto insurance policy for each individual client in terms of coverage and cost.
A qualified insurance agent will take the time to listen to your needs and circumstances with regards to auto insurance and will always consider and use your answers when writing up a policy which protects you, your property and your assets. You can rely on your agent to stand by you when you have a claim and to always make sure your policy is up-to-date and continues to meet the needs of your changing lifestyle.
If are interested in getting a quote from a qualified agent, use our Agent Locator to find an extensive list of agents in your local area.
Tips to saving money on your insurance premiums
- Raise your deductible. Remember, the higher your deductible, the lower the cost.
- If you have a teenage driver in the family, ask about teen driver discounts.
- Drive carefully. A clean driving record can add up to big savings when buying insurance.
- If you’re purchasing a new vehicle, get an insurance quote before you buy. Insurance prices can vary dramatically depending on the make and model of the car you purchase.
- Bundle your insurance policies. Purchasing life, home, auto and other insurance policies from one company can earn you up to 10% off the total cost of your premiums.
- Improve your credit score. Many insurance companies use your credit score to determine the amount of your premium. Before applying for insurance, obtain copies of your personal credit report from the three major credit bureaus and check them for accuracy. Report any errors or out-of-date information directly to the reporting bureau.
Being aware of these money-saving tips can add up to big savings for you! When you also work with a professional insurance agent to put together your policy, you can be confident that you are getting comprehensive coverage at the best possible price.
With CarInsurance.info, a customer can find and obtain Minnesota auto insurance. We allow you to compare rates from multiple companies so you will be able to choose a policy with the correct coverage at the right price. The companies we work with are reliable and offer the best rates so you can get the same great, yet affordable service.