Cheapest Missouri SR-22 Insurance (Compare All Prices)

An SR-22 is a document issued by an auto insurer to the State indicating that you carry sufficient insurance to satisfy that state’s Financial Responsibility Law.  States demand one from a driver when they have either been convicted of specific crimes or have failed to show evidence of financial responsibility in the even they are found to be at fault in an accident.  Should an SR-22 be required, you are barred from driving until you provide one and maintain the underlying insurance to support the proof of financial responsibility.

Non Owners Insurance in Missouri

If you do not own a vehicle, but need to have an SR-22 in order to drive, you will need to obtain an Operator’s Policy also known as a Named Non Owner Policy, which provides you with liability insurance coverage should you operate a vehicle that is uninsured.  Otherwise, you will need an auto insurance policy that provides liability coverage for both you and your auto.

How an SR-22 Affects your Michigan Car Insurance Rates

Because the insured has a blemished driving record, they will not get the lowest rates for coverage.  That being said, one should comparison shop and compare rates for the policy itself as well as any fees related to filing an SR-22.  It should also be noted that if you need to have an SR-22 processed quickly, the fees to do so will not be inexpensive.

Limitations of Michigan SR-22 Coverage

Another thing to note is that the policy itself may have terms and conditions that may limit coverage under certain circumstances.  For example, should you be involved in an accident and you are using the vehicle in commission of a crime (and the definition of crime includes driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs) coverage for damage to your auto may evaporate.  In addition, the limits for third party liability coverages in the event the auto is used during a crime will be reduced to the statutory minimum required by the state.

Once the period for which your need to supply an SR-22 ends, you will then have much more flexibility to select an insurance policy as more insurers will be willing to insure you with a better rate.  In addition, you will no longer need to pay any fees associated with processing the document

Why Would I Need an SR-22 in Missouri?

You would need an SR – 22 in Missouri in order to reinstate your license after a denial, suspension or revocation.  Your license can be denied if,

  • You have been convicted twice of Driving While Intoxicated over a five year period, your license will be denied for five years and you will be unable to get it reinstated for that time, or
  • You have been convicted twice of Driving While Intoxicated AND any alcohol related driving offense, your license will be denied for ten years and you will not be able to have it reinstated.

Your license can be revoked or suspended if you accumulate too many points assessed for moving violations.  If you accumulate four points in 12 months, the Missouri Department of Revenue will send you a warning letter.  If you accumulate eight points in 18 months, your driver license will be suspended as follows:

Points Suspension Suspension Period
First 30 days
Second 60 days
Third and subsequent 90 days

In addition, your driver license will be revoked for one year if you accumulate the following amount of points within the following time frame:

Time Frame Number of Points
12 months 12
18 months 18
36 months 24

Upon reinstatement of your driving privilege, the number of points will be reduced to four.  If you drive for one year without accumulating any points, the number of points will be reduced by one third, the number of remaining points will be reduced by one half if you do not accumulate any points for two years and reduced to zero if you do not accumulate any points for three years.  For example, you have nine points on your drivers license and you do not accumulate any points for three years.  The number of points on your license will be as follows:

Year Number of Points
0 9
1 6
2 3
3 0

Your license can also be suspended or revoked for the following reasons:

  • You are convicted for Driving while Under the Influence,
  • You refuse to take a chemical test,
  • You are convicted of driving with a suspended license or no license,
  • You fail to provide proof of auto insurance,
  • You have been convicted of vehicular homicide,
  • You are the at fault party in an accident that resulted in someone’s death,
  • You have abandoned a vehicle on a public highway,
  • You are convicted of using a motor vehicle in a crime,
  • You are convicted of stealing gas,
  • You have been convicted three times for reckless driving in one year,
  • You have been convicted of fleeing the police, or
  • You have been convicted of unlawfully using a driver’s license to buy liquor.

There are also reasons why your license can be suspended that are not related to driving.  These include:

  • Failure to pay child support,
  • Failure to pay fines,
  • Failure to appear in court,
  • Not responding to a Motor Vehicle and Driver’s License Notice, or
  • Failing to pay traffic tickets

How do I Get My Driving Privilege Restored?

If you received a denial of your driver’s license as part of your alcohol related convictions, you will need to have the court issue an Order for Reinstatement in order to start the process of getting your driving privilege restored.  In order to be considered for the order you must,

  • Obtain a Fingerprint Registration Number from the court where you received your last conviction
  • Register with the Missouri Automated Criminal History Site
  • Pay a Twenty Dollar fee
  • Be fingerprinted

The results will be transmitted to the court, who will evaluate them and if there are no additional motor vehicle related convictions, issue the Order for Reinstatement.

Once you receive the order for reinstatement, you will need to do the following:

  • File proof of installation of an Ignition Interlock Device that has both a camera and a GPS tracker.

    An ignition interlock device requires that the driver breathe into a breathalyzer before they start their car.  The breathalyzer will then test for alcohol consumption and prevent the car from being started should the driver be intoxicated.  In addition, the ignition interlock device will request a breath sample at random intervals while the driver is operating the car.  One thing it won’t do is shut the car off while you are driving should you be intoxicated.  There is a fee for installation and purchase of the device as well as for maintenance.  These vary, so you may want to shop for the best deal.

  • Obtain liability insurance and havethem file an SR – 22.
  • Retake the complete driver exam
  • Pay all necessary fees.

If your license was suspended or revoked for points violations, you will need to pay the necessary reinstatement fees and have your insurer file and SR – 22.  In addition, if your license was revoked, you will need to retake the complete driver exam.  In addition, if your violation is alcohol related you will need to;

  • Complete a Substance Abuse Traffic Offender Program (SATOP)

    A SATOP is a program in which those who have been arrested for driving while under the influence are referred to an Offender Management Unit for evaluation and recommendations for counseling.  When the Offender Management Unit receives the case, they will perform an evaluation of
    • Your driving record,
    • Your blood alcohol content at the time of the arrest,
    • A computer based assessment called the Driver Risk Inventory II in which you will answer a series of questions and
    • An interview with a Qualified Substance Abuse Professional.

Upon completion of the evaluation, the Qualified Substance Abuse Professional can recommend

  • An Offender Education Program, which is a ten hour education course designed for lower risk offenders in understanding the choices they made that led to their intoxication and arrest,
    • A Weekend Intervention Program, which is a 20 hour level of service designed for repeat or high risk offenders using intensive education and counseling intervention methods over a weekend of structured activities conducted in a restrictive environment,
    • A Clinical Intervention Program, which is a 50 hour outpatient counseling program consisting of individual counseling, group counseling, and group education. Ten of these hours must address impaired driving issues,
    • A Serious and Repeat Offender Program, which consists of An outpatient program consisting of a minimum of 75 hours of treatment in no less than 90 days, and includes a minimum of 35 hours of individual and/or group counseling. Completion of this program is at the discretion of the program’s clinical staff based on the needs of the offender, or
    • Traditional Treatment which comes in the form of a residential or outpatient treatment program from an accredited substance abuse treatment provider.
  • Install an Ignition Interlock Device on your car.

In some instances, you may be eligible for a Limited License so that you can drive to work or school during the period of suspension.  In these instances, you will need to comply with court or adminstative requirement and prove financial responsibility in the form of an SR – 22.

In summary,  If you have had your driver license suspended or revoked, you will need and SR – 22.  In addition, there will be several steps you need to take in order to partially have your driving privilege restored so that you may be able to drive again even after you have been sanctioned.