Compare Auto Insurance in New York
- $25,000 bodily injury for one person
- $50,000 per accident
- $10,000 property damage
- Click here for more auto insurance minimums in New York.
- DUI is considered a BAC of 0.08%; 0.04% for commercial drivers; 0.02% for minors
- Enhanced sentencing for BAC of 0.15% and higher.
- Click here for more DUI laws in New York.
- SR-22 may be required for a number of reasons.
- An SR-22 is typically required to reinstate a suspended license.
- Click here for all SR-22 requirements in New York.
- The New York legislature passed a Distracted Driver law in 2001.
- In 2009, New York passed a law prohibiting text-based communications while operating a motor vehicle.
- Click here for Hands-Free laws in New York.
- New York utilizes a Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) system for teen drivers.
- The GDL is intended to minimize high-risk situations for inexperienced drivers.
- Click here to learn all you need to know about New York teen driver laws.
When you are involved in an auto accident and found to be responsible, it is vitally important to have the proper insurance coverage. If you don’t have the proper amount of coverage and are found at fault in an accident, your home, savings, future wages, and all other personal assets can be at risk in order to cover the costs of accident-related medical bills, property damage and lawsuits.
Auto insurance in New York is a highly competitive market with over 270 companies vying for your business. By law, every New York motorist must purchase and maintain the following types of coverage at the minimum amounts shown. This financial responsibility must be met in order to register your vehicle and obtain license plates. The types of coverage are:
- $50,000 total in No-Fault Benefits- Personal Injury Protection (PIP). This insurance coverage protects you when you are involved in an accident, no matter who is at fault. It pays a portion of the costs such as accident-related medical expenses and lost wages. This coverage does not pay for any auto body repair of your car or damage to any other vehicle or personal property involved in the accident.
- $25,000 total for Bodily Injury coverage, per person in one accident
- $50,000 total for Bodily Injury coverage resulting in death, per person in one accident
- $50,000 total for Bodily Injury coverage, for two or more persons in one accident
- $100,000 total for Bodily Injury coverage, for two or more persons in one accident
- $10,000 total for property damage, per accident
New York also mandates that all drivers carry Uninsured Motorist coverage. This covers your own bodily injuries if you are the victim of a hit-and-run or are hit by a driver who is at fault but has no insurance. The required minimum coverage amounts are the same as those for bodily injury liability.
When putting together your auto insurance policy, it’s important to remember that whatever amount you select is the maximum amount that your insurance provider will pay out on a claim. The minimum amounts as required by law are often times not enough to fully cover damages which occur in an accident for which you are responsible. Therefore, you may want to consider choosing higher amounts of insurance coverage when you purchase your policy.
Your auto insurance agent is a knowledgeable and trusted source for information regarding your state’s minimum requirements. Your agent can also offer sound and practical advice when it comes to selecting other types of auto insurance coverage to protect yourself financially. These may include Collision Coverage or Comprehensive Coverage, for example.
For answers to any other questions, please contact:
New York State Department of Financial Services- Albany Insurance Office
One Commerce Plaza
Albany, NY 12257
|(800) 342-3736 Toll Free|
New York State Department of Financial Services- New York City Insurance Office
25 Beaver Street
New York, NY 10004
New York Car Insurance Agents
If you are a New York resident and are looking for an auto insurance agent to assist you with your insurance needs, your search is over!
Auto insurance agents are highly trained professionals whose goal is to make buying auto insurance easy and enjoyable for their customers. Since they keep up with the latest trends in the insurance industry, they are a knowledgeable source when it comes to putting together a comprehensive auto insurance policy that meets the needs of their customers. They also understand that their clients need and deserve this coverage at a reasonable cost that doesn’t break the family budget.
A qualified New York Auto Insurance agent will take the time to listen to your needs and circumstances with regards to auto insurance and will always consider and use your answers when writing up a policy which protects you, your property and your assets. You can rely on your agent to stand by you when you have a claim and to always make sure your policy is up-to-date and continues to meet the needs of your changing lifestyle.
If you would like to receive a quote from a qualified agent, please use our Agent Locator to find an extensive list of agents in your local area. You can depend on any one of these agents to maintain a high standard of professional excellence while working hard to ensure you get a comprehensive policy at a reasonable price.
Tips to saving money on your insurance premiums
- Maintain a clean driving record. This can add up to big savings when buying auto insurance.
- Raise your deductible. Remember, the higher your deductible, the lower the cost.
- If you have a teenage driver in the family, ask about a good student discount.
- Bundle your insurance policies. Purchasing life, home, auto and other insurance policies from one company can earn you up to 10% off the total cost of your premiums.
- If you’re purchasing a new vehicle, get an insurance quote before you buy. Insurance prices can vary dramatically depending on the make and model of the car you purchase.
- Improve your credit score. Many insurance companies use your credit score to determine the amount of your premium. Check your credit score before applying for insurance to make sure it is accurate and up-to-date.
Being aware of these money-saving tips can add up to big savings for you! When you also work with a professional insurance agent to put together your policy, you can be confident that you are getting comprehensive coverage at the best possible price.
While it seems that New York residents aren’t over-paying for car insurance, the truth of the matter is that they really are. There are numerous ways for residents of New York to minimize what they spend on car insurance annually. There are excellent resources to be utilized on the Internet such as those offered at CarInsurance.info.