Compare Auto Insurance in North Dakota
- $25,000 bodily injury for one person
- $50,000 per accident
- $25,000 property damage
- Click here for more auto insurance minimums in North Dakota.
- DUI is considered a BAC of 0.08%.
- Enhanced sentencing for BAC of 0.18% and higher.
- Click here for more DUI laws in North Dakota.
- SR-22 may be required for a number of reasons.
- An SR-22 is typically required to reinstate a suspended license.
- Click here for all SR-22 requirements in North Dakota.
- The North Dakota legislature has not recently considered any distracted driver laws.
- North Dakota House Bill 1208 was meant to limit the use of wireless communications device but it failed.
- Click here for Hands-Free laws in North Dakota.
- North Dakota utilizes a Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) system for teen drivers.
- You must be 14 years old to obtain a GDL.
- Click here to learn all you need to know about North Dakota teen driver laws.
When you are involved in an auto accident and found to be responsible, it is extremely important to have the proper insurance coverage. Most people know and understand that driving without insurance is not an option. Not only is it dangerous, it is also illegal. But many people don’t realize that being underinsured can also be personally devastating.
If you don’t have the proper amount of coverage and are held responsible in an accident, your home, savings, future wages, and all other personal assets can be at risk in order to cover the costs of accident-related medical bills, property damage, and lawsuits.
The State of North Dakota requires that all motorists purchase and maintain the following minimum amounts of coverage:
- $25,000 total for bodily injury coverage, per person
- $50,000 total for bodily injury coverage, per accident
- $25,000 total for property damage, per accident
North Dakota also mandates that all drivers carry both Uninsured Motorist coverage and Underinsured Motorist coverage. Uninsured motorist covers your own bodily injuries if you are the victim of a hit-and-run or are hit by a driver who is at fault but has no insurance. Underinsured motorist pays the difference between the uninsured motorist coverage and the at-fault driver’s liability coverage. The minimum coverage amounts for each are:
- $25,000 total, per person
- $50,000 total, per accident
If you are denied insurance because of your driving record, you may qualify for coverage offered through the North Dakota Automobile Insurance Plan. Since this is considered high-risk coverage, the premiums are more expensive. This alternative means of insurance coverage should only be considered when all other options have failed.
When putting together your auto insurance policy, it’s important to remember that whatever amount you select is the maximum amount that your insurance provider will pay out on a claim. The minimum amounts as required by law are often times not enough to fully cover damages which occur in an accident for which you are responsible. Therefore, you may want to consider choosing higher amounts of insurance coverage when you purchase your policy.
Your auto insurance agent is a trusted source for information regarding your state’s minimum requirements. Your agent can also offer sound and practical advice when it comes to selecting other types of auto insurance coverage to protect yourself financially. These may include Collision Coverage and Comprehensive Coverage, for example.
For any other concerns or questions, please contact:
North Dakota Insurance Department
600 E. Boulevard Avenue
|(701) 328-2440 Main|
(800) 247-0560 Toll Free
(800) 366-6888 Hearing Impaired
North Dakota Car Insurance Agents
If you live in North Dakota and are looking for an auto insurance agent to assist you with your insurance needs, your search is over!
Auto insurance agents are highly trained professionals whose goal is to make buying auto insurance easy and enjoyable for their customers. They are able to compare prices from different insurance companies and find the best combination of coverage and cost. Since they keep up with the latest trends in the insurance industry, they are a knowledgeable source when it comes to putting together a comprehensive auto insurance policy that meets the needs of their customers but is also affordable.
A good agent will take the time to listen to your needs and circumstances with regards to auto insurance and will always consider and use your answers when writing up a policy which protects you, your property and your assets. You can rely on a skilled North Dakota Auto Insurance agent to stand by you when you have a claim and to help you throughout the entire claim process. You should also expect your agent to make sure that your policy is up-to-date and that you maintain coverage which is appropriate for your personal situation.
If are interested in getting a quote from a qualified agent, use our Agent Locator to find an extensive list of agents in your local area. Any one of these professional agents will work hard to make sure you get a comprehensive policy that takes into consideration both your needs and budget.
Tips to saving money on your insurance premiums
- Drive carefully. A clean driving record can add up to big savings when buying insurance.
- If you’re purchasing a new vehicle, get an insurance quote before you buy. Insurance prices can vary dramatically depending on the make and model of the car you purchase.
- Raise your deductible. Remember, the higher your deductible, the lower the cost.
- Group your policies together. Insuring your auto, home and life with the same company can sometimes earn you up to 10% off your total premium cost.
- If you have a teenage driver in the family, ask about a good student discount.
- Improve your credit score. Many insurance companies use your credit score to determine the cost of your premium. Be sure to check your score before applying for new insurance to make sure it is accurate and up-to-date.
You can be confident that when you work with a professional insurance agent you are getting a comprehensive auto insurance policy that is tailored specifically to your needs and budget. Being aware of these money-saving tips can add up to even more savings for you!
Every North Dakota resident knows that peace-of-mind is important when it comes to car insurance and car insurance prices. What few North Dakota drivers realize is that they are usually paying far too much for car insurance premiums even if they seem reasonable when compared to the national average. For real peace-of-mind you should utilize tools offered by CarInsurance.info.