Compare Auto Insurance in South Carolina
- $25,000 bodily injury for one person
- $50,000 per accident
- $25,000 property damage
- Click here for more auto insurance minimums in South Carolina.
- DUI is considered a BAC of 0.08%.
- Enhanced sentencing for BAC of 0.15% and higher.
- Click here for more DUI laws in South Carolina.
- SR-22 may be required for a number of reasons.
- An SR-22 is typically required to reinstate a suspended license.
- Click here for all SR-22 requirements in South Carolina.
- The South Carolina legislature has passed cell phone/texting laws.
- South Carolina House Bill 4282 prohibits text-based communications while operating a motor vehicle.
- Click here for Hands-Free laws in South Carolina.
- South Carolina utilizes a Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) system for teen drivers.
- The GDL is intended to minimize high-risk situations for inexperienced drivers.
- Click here to learn all you need to know about South Carolina teen driver laws.
South Carolina allows motorists to legally drive without insurance. However, South Carolina is a tort state. This means that if you are ever involved in an auto accident and held responsible, the other party can sue you for all accident-related injuries and damages. Purchasing auto insurance is the easiest way to protect yourself from being in this situation.
Your insurance policy is basically a contract between you and your insurance company. You agree to pay the premium and the insurance company agrees to pay for losses and/or damages in the event of an accident. Without it, your home, savings, future wages, and all other personal assets can be at risk in order to cover the costs of accident-related medical bills, property damage, and lawsuits.
If you are deemed responsible for an auto accident which results in injury to another person or persons, bodily injury liability coverage provides funds for accident-related medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The State of South Carolina requires the following minimum coverage amounts to be purchased and maintained by all motorists:
- $25,000 total for bodily injury coverage, per person
- $50,000 total for bodily injury coverage, per accident
- $25,000 total for property damage, per accident
You must also carry Uninsured Motorist Coverage. This covers your own bodily injuries if you are the victim of a hit-and-run or are hit by a driver who is at fault but has no insurance.
When putting together your auto insurance policy, it’s important to remember that whatever amount you select is the maximum amount that your insurance provider will pay out on a claim. The minimum amounts as required by law are often times not enough to fully cover damages which occur in an accident for which you are responsible. Therefore, you may want to consider choosing higher amounts of insurance coverage when you purchase your policy.
Your auto insurance agent is a knowledgeable and trusted source for information regarding your state’s minimum requirements. Your agent can also offer sound and practical advice when it comes to selecting other types of auto insurance coverage to protect yourself financially. These may include Collision Coverage or Comprehensive Coverage, for example.
For any other concerns or questions, please contact:
South Carolina Department of Insurance
|1201 Main Street|
Columbia, SC 29201
South Carolina Car Insurance Agents
If you live in South Carolina and are looking for an auto insurance agent to help you with your insurance needs, you’ve come to the right place.
Auto insurance agents are highly trained professionals whose goal is to make buying auto insurance easy and enjoyable for their customers. They are able to compare prices from different insurance companies and find the best combination of coverage and cost. Since they keep up with the latest trends in the insurance industry, they are a knowledgeable source when it comes to putting together a comprehensive auto insurance policy that meets the needs of their customers but is also affordable.
A good agent will take the time to listen to your needs and circumstances with regards to auto insurance and will always consider and use your answers when writing up a policy which protects you, your property and your assets. You can rely on a skilled South Carolina Auto Insurance agent to stand by you when you have a claim and to help you throughout the entire claim process. You should also expect your agent to make sure that your policy is up-to-date and that you maintain coverage which is appropriate for your personal situation.
If you would like to receive a quote from a qualified agent, please use our Agent Locator to find an extensive list of agents in your local area. You can depend on any one of these agents to maintain a high standard of professional excellence while working hard to get you the best insurance policy possible at a rate you can afford.
Tips to saving money on your insurance premiums
- Shop around and compare prices from different companies.
- If you have a teenage driver in the family, ask about teen driver discounts
- Raise your deductible. Remember, the higher your deductible, the lower the cost.
- Drive carefully. A clean driving record can add up to big savings when buying insurance
- Bundle your insurance policies. Purchasing life, home, auto and other insurance policies from one company can earn you up to 10% off the total cost of your premiums.
- Completion of defensive driving/driver’s safety courses from an accredited company can also save you money on premiums.
- Improve your credit score. Many insurance companies use your credit score to determine the amount of your premium. Check your credit score before applying for insurance to make sure it is accurate and up-to-date.
Being aware of these money-saving tips can add up to big savings for you! When you also work with a professional insurance agent to put together your policy, you can be confident that you are getting comprehensive coverage at the best possible price.
These days, a very large percentage of commerce takes place online. You can get a South Carolina Auto Insurance Minimums quote quickly and easily with CarInsurance.info. If you’re looking for a great deal on auto insurance, you’ll need to compare insurance houses, and CarInsurance.info makes it easy to do that. You can get quotes from all of the best and most reliable auto insurance companies. We work with you to get the best rate.